Saturday, March 15, 2014

Band Concerts

I'm going to come right out and say it. My next book is still not ready. Now that that's out of the way, I can focus on the rest of this blog post which I'm going to keep short.

Yesterday, my little sister had a band concert. Not just any band concert; it was a district festival concert where the band was rated and, if they got a high enough rating, they would go on to state festival. Seeing that she's in the highest band in a high school where band is a huge deal (Seriously, a huge deal. When I was there, band members were voted in as homecoming king and queen.), we all expected them to get straight ones (highest rating), especially since it was only district. Well, nope. They ended up with three twos for the prepared pieces and a one in sight reading (where they get a random piece of music that they've never seen before and have a set amount of time to look it over before performing it). This means that they're not going to state festival. I think it's the first time in the history of Wind Ensemble (the name of the highest band) that they didn't qualify for state festival. I'm pretty sure about it too since Wind Ensemble was created my sophomore year of high school. In all honesty, I can tell why they did so poorly. The tuning was atrocious, some of the the players were playing too fast while others were too slow, the dynamics were almost stagnant with barely a difference between the softest parts and the loudest parts, the whole notes weren't released together and the balance of the band was definitely top heavy. My dad was shocked they didn't get an overall one. I wasn't. It might seem harsh, but, as an old member of the band, I remember better performances and not just when I was there.

So, that's what's going on here. I'm hurrying with my book, but I don't want to rush it too much and turn out a book of bad quality. It's mostly typed up, but I'm adding in a new chapter that I didn't have in the first copy because there seems to be some missing scenes. And that's it. Until next time, have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment